Monday, May 14, 2007

One Night Wonders

This weekend I took as my last opportunity for the year to enjoy the gardens. Its just too hot and miserable any time after the sun comes up to be outdoors. Ok, I am being over dramatic...but my mom and I took this Saturday to enjoy the outdoors. We were glad we did.



These are Easter Lily Cactus. They come from South America (mainly Peru) and bloom ONE NIGHT A YEAR closing in the early hours of the morning the next day. We lucked out and happened to be there on a day that dozens of them opened.

Aside from a photographer with a ridiculous piece of glass trying to run the show and monopolize the entire area, everyone was awed and inspired by these flowers and certainly took the time to enjoy them. Reds, pinks, peaches, yellows and whites...all bloomed. We had hit the jackpot.

Cactus flower season lasts too short here, and its end means months of sitting inside griping at the electric bill or escaping to higher elevations on the weekends. I am dreading that.

For now, I am happy to enjoy the little miracles that nature and our local botanists provide. As long as I remember the sunscreen, lots of water and to stay in the shade as much as possible, I figure I can tough it out.

No comments: